Mrs. Emma Althoff Ohmer, 92, of 135o Creighton Ave., widow of Charles T. Ohmer, a Dayton realtor and civic leader, died a 1 a.m. Saturday at her residence after an illness of one year

She and her husband developed the residential section known as Ohmer Park.

Born in Dayton, she was the daughter of the late Pius and Catherine Althoff, pioneer Daytonian. She attended  St. Josephparochial school and Mount Notre Dame Academy at Reading, O.

In 1882, she married Mr. Ohmer in the old St. Joseph Catholic Church.

As a young bride, Mrs. Ohmer braved the rigors of frontier life, as she and her husband moved to the then sparsely settled area of northwestern Minnesota to engage in wheat farming.

During her 23 years there and after her return to Dayton she devoted her interests to her family and the sick and needy.

Together, she and Mr. Ohmer, who died in 1942, established Ohmer Park and were active in the creation of Walnut Hills playground.

She was a charter member of St. Anthony Church, a member of the Altar Society of the church and of the Tabernacle society.

Survivors include four daughters, Ruth, who returned Thursday from the Marianists Holy Pilgrimage to Home; Alice and Susan Ohmer, all of Dayton, and Mrs .Carrie Sifferman of Seattle, Wash.; two sons, Earl, who is known to Daytonians as pioneer and conservationist in Petersburg, Alaska, and Paul of Cincinnati.

She also leaves one sister, Mrs. Lillie C. Gwinner of Dayton; 18 grandchildren and 28 great-grandchildren.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *