Category

Geography

OHMERS in Ohio

By | Geography | No Comments

OHMERs  in Ohio

   If you are of this line you may trace your lineage back to:
Michael Ohmer, born 4 June 1839 in Herxheim, Pfalz; died 25 January 1915 in Cincinnati, Ohio. He married abt 1864 in Cincinnati, Ohio Barbara Heitzman, born 20 November 1837 in Herxheim, Pfalz; died 16 December 1926 in Hamilton, Ohio.
Michael was a brewmaster, and he’s named in a record in 1862 in Cincinnati. His descendants are centered in Cincinnati and across the river in Kenton and Campbell counties near Covington, Kentucky. He is a one-half fourth cousin of both Theodor Ohmer and Appolonia Ohmer. His great great grandfather, Johann Jacob was a half brother of Johann Adam by Hans Jacob’s second wife.

Some research has shown that in 1857, The M. Ohmer’s Sons Co. had a a furniture store in Dayton on the corner of Main and Second Streets. They were involved in the construction of the Wood County courthouse, (their bid for $16, 855.15 dated September 16, 1895) whose website states “…Ohmer’s Son’s specialized in elaborate but sturdy wood furniture, and had previously supplied the interior furnishings for a number of government buildings from as far away as Massachusetts and Florida. The furniture itself was made out of “white oak of an unusually good color and figure…”
M. Ohmer’s Sons also constructed the Supreme Court Justice Bench for the Florida State Capitol. As part of the massive $75,000 expansion of the Old Capitol in 1902, new furnishings for all three branches of government were ordered from M. Ohmer’s Sons. The original furniture for the 1902 Capitol was manufactured by M. Ohmer’s Sons Company of Dayton, Ohio. The legislators’ desks were made of oak and cost $25.50 each. At that time, there were 32 members in the Florida Senate and session convened every two years instead of every year.

In 1930, the Ohio Inspectors Bureau made a list of businesses who whose sprinklers were at risk, one of which being Ohmer Fare Register Co., Bolander Ave. & Big 4 RR; Ohmer (John F.) Bldg., Miami Chapel Rd. & Big 4 RR.  I am yet to see one of the taxi fare meters they manufactured.

OHMERS in Alaska

By | Geography | No Comments

OHMERs in Petersburg, Alaska

Earl Nicholas OHMER was born in Dayton, Ohio 17 Nov, 1882. In the early 1900s, he worked on a ranch breaking horses in eastern Oregon. He was the first Ohmer to call Petersburg home in 1914 when the town was in its infancy. In 1916 Earl Ohmer established the Alaskan Glacier Sea Food Company – the first and last remaining shrimp processing plant in the state of Alaska.

Earl arrived in Alaska with the aim of starting the first shore-based shrimp processing plant. His future investments included: additional fish processing plants, gold mines, mink and fox farms, and extensive real estate.

Earl also gave his time to public service as a multi-term mayor of Petersburg and over 20 years as the chairman of Alaska Territorial Fish and Wildlife Commission. His mark remains in many ways with conservation laws he passed still protecting Alaska’s natural resources, and regional water ways bearing his name. The original shrimp plant he established is the last remaining shrimp producer in the state, more than 85 years after it began.

Through the Depression, World War II, and the transition of Alaska from a territory into statehood the Ohmers contributed to a growing Petersburg. When Earl died in 1955, his son Dave took over as President of Alaska Glacier Sea Food. Dave also served on the hospital board for 25 years and as a multi-term President of the Petersburg Chamber of Commerce.

Dave’s wife, Gloria collaborated with Patti Ohmer-Norheim to form “The Cache” a general merchandise store that had everything needed to raise a family, run a business, or have a hobby in a small Alaskan town. Patti and Gloria’s successful association at “The Cache” continued after the business sold when they focused their efforts on property management.

Gloria became the center of the Ohmer family business when her husband, Dave, died in 1979. She later purchased the Tides Inn Motel as a partner and within a few years became its sole proprietor. The Tides Inn grew and expanded under Gloria’s leadership. Her warm personality and gracious hospitality has become legend with Tides Inn guests, many of whom have become close friends.

The Ohmer family history reflects their love of the local environment, great pride of community, and the desire to share the beauty and uniqueness of Petersburg with those who have interest in the area.